Welcome

Greetings,
I invite you to join discussions, it enhances the reading experience for everyone. Please share your thoughts, opinions and knowledge in a respectful manner. May we all learn something in our endeavor to educate our hearts and minds. I look forward to hearing from you!
Sincerely,
TC AVEY

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Taboo...Politics & Religion: Should Christians Remain Silent in Politics?

I have been struggling on how to post something God has laid on my heart.  It is something that shouldn’t be controversial, but it is.  However, I must obey God and not worry about offending someone or about taking heat for taking a stand. 

I pray you will not think me judgmental or self-righteous, neither is my intent.  I hope my tone conveys that, however I know some will be offended and perhaps that is God’s intent... 

I only know I am being lead to post this, I know too that I am guilty of what I am about to post…that is probably why God has been forcing my attention on this topic for so long. 

So here goes, a posting on religion and politics combined!  


As much as we like to try and separate the two, there are some “topics” that cannot be separated, some things that are fundamental in Christianity and must be dealt with in the political arena and for far too long many Christians have remained silent, whether from ignorance or in the name of tolerance I do not know.  

What I do know as I scan the headlines of the news is there are distortions of the truth and contradictory information on every media outlet, exaggerations on the left and the right.

So how do we know who to believe and where to turn? 
 
The Bible is always a good place to start.  

Man can and will distort facts, some purposely and some by accident.  But God cannot lie: 

 “God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?” Numbers 23:19 NIV 

So how do Christians speak out about the lies put before us?  

It seems we are continually being told to “shut up” in one form or another.


If you don’t believe this, then why are there so few Christians willing to speak up regarding the dreadful political state of our government?  

It seems we have bought into the lie of separation of church and state.  

In my opinion, ministers do not like to preach on politics because it is not popular; it might offend part of the congregation or they are not comfortable in that role.  I have heard some say they do not know enough or that it is not their job.  I have even heard one pastor say that watching the news upsets them…they know how it all ends (meaning Revelations- end of times)  so they don’t need to watch the news.   

My counter is:  Will those excuses fly with God?  

Ministers are held to a higher standard, they are to shepherd God’s flock.  They may know how it all ends, but do their congregations?  The news may disturb them; it probably disturbs their flock as well.  The flock needs someone to help interpret fact from fiction.  

Politics can be overwhelming and many do not seem to care what transpires as long as it doesn’t personally affect them.  But the time is coming when it will affect everyone and when it does, many will be wondering how come no one warned them.  


 “Obey your spiritual leaders, and do what they say. Their work is to watch over your souls, and they are accountable to God. Give them reason to do this with joy and not with sorrow. That would certainly not be for your benefit.” Hebrews 13:17 NLT (bold is my emphasis)  

Isn’t part of watching over someone’s soul speaking out against evil?  Helping to clarify what Satan tries so hard to mask as truth?  Warning the flock of deceptions meant to lead them astray?  

“…From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.”  Luke 12:48

Spiritual leaders have been entrusted with our care and they will have to give an account.  But so will we.  

We will not be held blameless; we have the ability to be informed, to speak out against the wrongs.  Staying neutral is not an option.  God says if you are not with him, you are against him.  There is no excuse for remaining silent or ignorant!

 
 In today’s modern world, we can all be enlightened.  We do not have to love politics or follow all the current events, but we do have to get our heads out of the sand and stand up for Christ!    That means being aware of at least some things transpiring in our world (I don’t mean what celebrity did what, I mean what our government is doing or not doing).  

I don’t mean to sound judgmental, please forgive me if I do.  I am just as guilty as the next person.  There are issues I would rather not focus on, issues I feel uncomfortable discussing, area’s I feel inadequate to speak up about… but none of that can excuse me from ignoring Gods law.  I may not know how to react to everything, or know what to believe on the news, but I do know God’s word and by that I will be judged.  And so will you. 

I encourage you to get involved, to know God’s word and to speak up!


What are your thoughts on this sensitive topic? 



No comments:

Post a Comment