Welcome

Greetings,
I invite you to join discussions, it enhances the reading experience for everyone. Please share your thoughts, opinions and knowledge in a respectful manner. May we all learn something in our endeavor to educate our hearts and minds. I look forward to hearing from you!
Sincerely,
TC AVEY

Monday, November 28, 2011

Bucket List


“Death says, “This is the finality of accomplishment.”   While we cannot add anything more to our experience, believers in Christ have the hope of hearing the Savior say, “Well done, good and faithful servant” (Matthew 25:21 NKJV).”  Billy Graham, Nearing Home:  Life, Faith and Finishing Well

I was struck speechless when I read these words.  I don’t offend think of death, especially my own. 
If I do, I am consumed with thoughts of not seeing my son grow up, of what will become of him and the rest of my family.  

Never before did I stop and think “That’s it, I can’t accomplish anything else.”  

Maybe you have, maybe you have thought:  
When I die, I won’t have:

Finished reading my book

Finished washing the dishes

Finished watching that movie

Finished that project at work

Finished scrubbing the grout (or even starting to clean it)

Finished downloading and backing up my computer files

Finished organizing my (fill in the blank)

While reading Mr. Grahams words, these thoughts briefly flooded my mind, but more important thoughts followed.

When I die I won’t have:

Another opportunity to tell my neighbor about Christ

Another chance to volunteer my time

Another occasion for sharing the love of God

Another time to say “I love you”

Another possibility to witness to the lost

I couldn’t believe how much time I waste with trivial things when there is a world lost and dying!

When I die I will not have any more time to do all the things I “plan” on doing.  I won’t be able to follow up on my “talk” of witnessing.  I won’t be able to do anything else for the kingdom!

What if instead of saying, “Well done” God says, “you did okay, but you could have done better?”  

Okay, maybe I am projecting my own fears here, but what if God isn’t satisfied with my work for his Kingdom?  

What if he says, “You excelled in your career, you were a great parent and A+ on church attendance, but you get a C in witnessing and a D in showing the love of Christ to strangers”  

Again, God probably won’t use a grading scale (at least I hope not), but he will judge us according to the works we do and the ones we don’t.  

While we will gain entrance because of His sacrifice, is that enough?  Is that my only goal?  

What if God says, “Who did you bring with you?”  

I realize these are a great many “what ifs”, but I can’t help but wonder if I am accomplishing all that I can for the kingdom of Christ.  

What about you, what’s on your Bucket List?  Are they things on God’s priority list or your own? 

Final words of inspiration:  “Give your life to Christ:  He can do more with it than you can.” D.L. Moody

No comments:

Post a Comment