Welcome

Greetings,
I invite you to join discussions, it enhances the reading experience for everyone. Please share your thoughts, opinions and knowledge in a respectful manner. May we all learn something in our endeavor to educate our hearts and minds. I look forward to hearing from you!
Sincerely,
TC AVEY

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Does God Like Change?



I’m not a big fan of change.

In fact, I fight it tooth and nail.

Doesn’t matter that time and again, change has proven beneficial.

I like my routines.

I like structure.

I like rules.

But God doesn’t…

I can hear some of you now, “God likes rules, He gave us the 10 commandments”.

True, but outside that, God is creative. He isn’t vanilla at all (which by the way IS my favorite ice cream flavor).

Let me give you a few examples of how God likes to shake things up.

OLD TESTIMENT

Israelites going to battle.

1.        With Jericho, God used psychological warfare to give His people victory. It must have scared the inhabitants of Jericho to watch God’s people marching around their walls for 6 DAYS with the Ark of the Covenant.

What are they doing?  When are they going to attack? What’s their game plan?

Then, on the 7th day, the Israelites kept going around and around.

Were they ever going to stop? Jericho’s people wondered.  Then they paused…what would happen when Israel stopped? Fear gripped them. They had heard stories of Israel’s God. Maybe they didn’t want them to stop? Could their gods save them when Israel finally moved?

As Jericho’s confidence diminished, Israel’s grew stronger and strong with every completed lap.  By the time they were to shout and blow horns, their faith was on fire! They were ready for whatever God had in store. And God had something awesome in store…the walls fell.

2.        The fall of Ai was achieved through brilliant military strategy. God told Joshua not to be afraid but to take his men and go to Ai. Joshua, inspired by God, led the men into victory using ambush and trickery. But just to make sure they didn’t get cocky thinking THEY conquered Ai on their own. God instructed Joshua to “Stretch out the spear that is in your hand toward Ai, for I will give it into your hand.” (Joshua 8:18). Joshua did and guess what? They had victory, “For Joshua did not draw back his hand, with which he stretched out the spear, until he had utterly destroyed all the inhabitants of Ai.” (Joshua 8:26). 

NEW TESTIMENT

1.        Jesus healed a blind man with spit and a dip in the pool of Siloam - John 9:1-12

2.       Jesus commanded the dead to live- Luke 7:14-15

3.       Jesus healed a withered hand by telling a man to stretch it out. The man did and his hand was restored -Mark 3:3-5

4.       Jesus laid hands on the sick and healed them -Luke 4:40

What does this tell me?

God likes change. He likes to be creative, to catch our attention. 

It also tells me God cannot be pigeon holed. 

I cannot pray to God and expect manufactured answers. 

God is unique. He uses a plethora of ways to answer prayer.

I’m cheating myself of great things by not embracing change.

I’m limiting God’s work in my life by not being open to His awesome creativity. 

So I guess what I’m saying is…it’s time I start liking change. 

The only thing I need to keep firmly in place is God. God does not change. 

"I the LORD do not change…” Malachi 3:6 NIV

HE doesn’t change, but He uses a wide variety of ways to speak to His children. 

Are we listening or do we desire a manufactured religion and God?

It comes back to change.

Am I open to change?

Are you?



No comments:

Post a Comment