Welcome

Greetings,
I invite you to join discussions, it enhances the reading experience for everyone. Please share your thoughts, opinions and knowledge in a respectful manner. May we all learn something in our endeavor to educate our hearts and minds. I look forward to hearing from you!
Sincerely,
TC AVEY

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

If You Don't Stand...Who Will?


Have you heard of Martin Niemöller? 

He was a German Pastor and theologian who initially supported Hitler but realized the error in his judgment and became an outspoken force opposing Hitler’s rise to power.  He was arrested in 1937 and wasn’t released until 1945 by the Allied forces.

Below is one version of a poem he is famous for using.  While there is some controversy regarding the initial wording and the exact date it was originally used, I think you can plainly see how his words ring as true today as they did years ago regarding political apathy. 

“First They Came…”

“In Germany they first came for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant.

Then they came for me —
and by that time no one was left to speak up.”

Insert whatever title/name/organization from today’s current events and you can clearly see how apathy, tolerance, ignorance and fear can affect us all. 

So next time you think you ought to speak up about something, even if it doesn’t affect you, DO…especially if it doesn’t affect you, speak up!  

Questions:  What do you think of the blatant disregard our Government is showing to the Catholic Churches beliefs?   Does it matter to you that our Government is pushing its values upon a private institution or does it not affect you because you are not Catholic? 

No comments:

Post a Comment