Welcome

Greetings,
I invite you to join discussions, it enhances the reading experience for everyone. Please share your thoughts, opinions and knowledge in a respectful manner. May we all learn something in our endeavor to educate our hearts and minds. I look forward to hearing from you!
Sincerely,
TC AVEY

Monday, February 23, 2015

Maternity Leave



A mentor of mine, Wendell Rovenstein- President of Bibles for China, gave an interview on one of my favorite pod casts, Engaging Mission

On more than one occasion I’ve had the privilege of sitting down with Wendell and listening as he shares his passion for bringing Christ to the Chinese people.  I have to admit, I thought I’d know most of his answers to Bryan’s interview questions. Yet I was stunned when he focused so much on family.

He said we need to show up where God is.

God is in the family. Yet how many Christians get so caught up in doing “good” things, even ministry, that our families suffer (sadly without many of us realizing it)?

I’m guilty of this.

I’m guilty of putting my family time on hold so I can respond to one more commenter on my blog, finish a blog post, pray for someone after reading a comment, or something similar.

You see, I don’t view my blog as hobby…or even as a job.

I believe my blog is a ministry. It’s a small ministry, but it’s one God has given me.

I’m honored that you read my posts and share your lives with me.

When I say I’m praying for you, I really mean it.

I spend time with God preparing for my posts and comments. 

I cherish my time with you.

But God is showing me that my focus right now must be centered on my family.

As some of you know, I’ll be having another baby soon. 

Having babies and young children puts me in a different season of life than some of you.

It forces me to prioritize my time more carefully.

As I’ve thought about Wendell’s interview, I’ve realized that I’m guilty of trying to get God to be where MY focus is instead of me showing up where He is.

I was told by 3 doctors I’d never have my first son. 

Now God is blessing me with another one.

Family is where God is working right now!

And that’s where my focus needs to be.

As I’ve prayed about this God has lead me to Hannah (1 Samuel 1-2:11)

Hannah longed for a child.

Years went by without her prayers being answered. 

God used this time to cultivate her heart. It was during this long wait that she came to a place where she could give her child back to God…if only He would give her a son.

And so, when Hannah’s heart was ready, God gave her Samuel.

Hannah had approximately 3 short years with Samuel before she gave him to Eli the priest (In Bible times that’s the approximate length of time women nursed their children). 

She had 3 years to speak into his life. 

3 years so show him her love.

3 years to tell him about God.

3 years to make memories that would last her (and him) a life time. 

3 years and then she fulfilled her promise to God. 

Those 3 years were pivotal. It gave Samuel his foundation for growing into adulthood.

This has caused me to ponder: If I knew I only had 3 years with my kids, would my parenting be different? (click to tweet)

The answer is yes.

Yes, my parenting would be different because my focus would more sharply be placed on my children. I wouldn’t allow so many distractions to take me away from them. I wouldn’t sweat the small stuff (like neatly folded laundry, toys being picked up, my kid throwing a fit at the store and embarrassing me).

This is why I’m taking “Maternity” leave from blogging.

It’s hard for me to step away from blogging. As I said, it’s a ministry. I love spending time with you. You all bless me so much. But at the moment I need to focus more on my family.

I’m not sure when I’ll be off “Maternity” leave.

I could be back in a few months or possibly not until fall. 

I’m just going to take it a day at a time and let God direct my focus.

I do plan on returning. And you might occasionally see me reading your posts and commenting.
I will still be checking my email, so please feel free to email me. 

I’m not dropping off the face of the earth—I’m just taking a step back from writing. 

Until I return: Please enjoy some of my older posts and be blessed. 

Draw close to God and He will draw close to you…(James 4:8)

Finally, where is your focus?




No comments:

Post a Comment