Welcome

Greetings,
I invite you to join discussions, it enhances the reading experience for everyone. Please share your thoughts, opinions and knowledge in a respectful manner. May we all learn something in our endeavor to educate our hearts and minds. I look forward to hearing from you!
Sincerely,
TC AVEY

Monday, November 3, 2014

Technological Advances...Good, Bad, or Both?



I'm pausing this weeks series on "Hindrances to Becoming Like Christ" to share with you something that's caught my attention about upcoming technological advances. These are things I think you should be aware of.

In my book, “The Precipice: When Everything We Know Ends” I talk about a helmet that protects people from having their thoughts read by the government.

While purely fiction, it’s not as farfetched as some would like to think.

Since writing that book, I’ve read articles about advances in technology that sound purely science fiction! Here are a few examples that could have been listed in my Reality Check Section. 





While these research studies are mind blowing, I’d rather you click on this next link:

While I don’t want to alarm you, I do want you to be aware of some of the things that could be coming in our near future. Things that sound almost Sci-Fi, but aren’t. Things that may appear “good” on the surface but could have far reaching consequences to how we conduct our lives

I’m not going discuss all 9 “real technologies” but here are a few that really caught my attention (no particular order):

A.       Cyber pills that talk to your doctor: 
I think this will be Advertized- as a way for your doctor to improve your health. A way for doctors and family members to know if their elderly loved one is taking their meds as prescribed. As a way to reduce drug abuse and prevent overdoses.
Potential problems I see- What if you don’t want to take this “cyber pill”? Will insurance companies still provide you coverage? What if you reject the diagnosis your doctor has given you and you don’t want to take the med? Will you be in trouble? Example: your kid is diagnosed with ADD and given a drug you don’t want them to take. The doctor is notified. Will your child be taken from you and you charged with neglect? (Look up 15 year old Justina Pelletier)

B.       Implantable Birth Control with external remote:
I think this will be Advertized- as an alternative to having to “remember” to take your birth control pill.  
Potential problems I see- besides the obvious, what if you lose the remote, I want to know who controls the remote? While it may begin with individual responsibility, what if it eventually goes to some external source controlling it? Sound crazy, think of China. They decide how many kids a family can have. Think of Nazi Germany, certain people should breed and certain people shouldn’t be allowed too.

C.       Smart Dust, nano-devices inside you doing the work of a doctor:
I think this will be Advertized- as a way to treat diseases before the happen. As non-invasive alternatives to surgery. As a way of being proactive about ones health.
Potential problems I see- Again, what if you don’t want some nano inside you? Will a doctor treat you? Will an insurance company cover you? What if something goes wrong with the nano? What if the nano is hacked and someone other than your healthcare provider is controlling your health?

D.       Verified Self:  A way for you to be tracked, no matter where you go.
I think this will be Advertized- like the device implanted in animals. That way they are never truly lost. You can find them. Perverts can’t kidnap your child, because you can quickly locate them. A system like this will reduce crime. Just think, no missing people, no amber alters, no wondering if your loved one is dead or alive. Besides, there are similar things being used in our military. Why not use it on citizens?
Potential problems I see-What if you don’t want to be found? What if you’re running away from an abusive spouse? What if the government uses it to monitor and control your movements? What if our society turns into the movie, “1984”? What if “Big Brother” gets out of control?

These are just a few of the things on this list. You really should check it out. You might be interested in reading more about Implantable Smartphones and Smart Tattoos.  

What are your thoughts on this new technology? 

Join me next week as we continue our series on "Hindrances to Becoming Like Christ"

No comments:

Post a Comment