Welcome

Greetings,
I invite you to join discussions, it enhances the reading experience for everyone. Please share your thoughts, opinions and knowledge in a respectful manner. May we all learn something in our endeavor to educate our hearts and minds. I look forward to hearing from you!
Sincerely,
TC AVEY

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Whoever Thinks the Founding Fathers Weren't Christians, Probably Doesn't Know This: May 17th, 1776


The beginning of this year God laid 2 Chronicles 7:14 on my heart. 

“[I]f my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.” NIV

Daily my heart ached (and my head almost exploded) watching the news and witnessing the atrocities we commit against each other, and this verse would repeat in my head. 

I wasn’t sure what to do; after all, I was only one person.  Would it really matter if I humbled myself, prayed, sought God and turned from my sins…would God forgive the sins of this land and heal it?  Could one person make a change?

I felt overwhelmed. 

While I knew each person is only responsible for doing his or her part, I felt I needed to do more.  I wanted to impress it upon everyone the importance of this scripture and the dire state of our nation and the entire WORLD.  

But what could I do?  I was already writing this blog and telling anyone who would listen.

Then slowly, I started to hear others verbalize the things I had been feeling! It was such a relief to know God was speaking this urgency to us all! God was telling His people to trust in His promises and to allow Him to go to battle for them!  

I was relieved. I wasn’t alone.  

But I still felt there was more to be done, but what?

Then I heard of May 17, 1776 and felt my prayers had been answered!

May 17, 1776 the Continental Congress urged the colonies to unite in a day of prayer and fasting.  Here is an excerpt from that proclamation:

“The Congress, therefore, considering the warlike preparations of the British Ministry to subvert our invaluable rights and privileges, and to reduce us by fire and sword, by the savages of the wilderness, and our own domestics, to the most abject and ignominious bondage: Desirous, at the same time, to have people of all ranks and degrees duly impressed with a solemn sense of God's superintending providence, and of their duty, devoutly to rely, in all their lawful enterprises, on his aid and direction, Do earnestly recommend, that Friday, the Seventeenth day of May next, be observed by the said colonies as a day of humiliation, fasting, and prayer; that we may, with united hearts, confess and bewail our manifold sins and transgressions, and, by a sincere repentance and amendment of life, appease his righteous displeasure, and, through the merits and mediation of Jesus Christ, obtain his pardon and forgiveness; humbly imploring his assistance to frustrate the cruel purposes of our unnatural enemies; and by inclining their hearts to justice and benevolence, prevent the further effusion of kindred blood." (Emphasis added mine.  You can read the full proclamation here:  http://biblescripture.net/Day.html or Google it and you will find it multiple times).

After this, I heard that at the NRA convention, Glenn Beck called on American’s to repeat this proclamation this coming up May 17th!  

So now I am urging all Christians around the world join together this May 17th to petition God in prayer and fasting.  Humbling ourselves and realizing we need His divine protection, mercy and deliverance from the evil that is trying to take over the globe.  

Let us join together as the Body of Christ and ask God to remember His promise in 2 Chron 7:14.  Let us ask God to go to battle for us as we acknowledge our need of Him and repent of the sins that have been plaguing us for far too long- sins of selfishness and greed, idols of materialism and power, transgressions of indulgence and tolerance.  Let us ask God to forgive us and to heal our land!

Please help spread the word.  Each individual makes a differences- together we are the BODY OF CHRIST! 

May 3rd was a national day of prayer and fasting and many around our nation joined together and petitioned God. But let’s not stop with America, I pray the world will unite under the banner of God’s love and allow Him to heal our land!  

Disclaimer: Before fasting please consult your doctor. If you cannot do a traditional fast please know you can still humble yourself and pray.  Also know, there are fasts that do not require giving up food- I have heard of people giving up Facebook/Twitter/Video Games/TV/etc instead of food (for health reasons I have done some of this myself).  The point isn’t what you sacrifice, but that you fill your mind/heart with God instead of whatever it is you are giving up.  If you are a social media junkie, going a full day without it and focusing on God during those times may be more beneficial  than giving up food.  

Here are some links to explain more about a National Day of Prayer and Fasting:


No comments:

Post a Comment