Welcome

Greetings,
I invite you to join discussions, it enhances the reading experience for everyone. Please share your thoughts, opinions and knowledge in a respectful manner. May we all learn something in our endeavor to educate our hearts and minds. I look forward to hearing from you!
Sincerely,
TC AVEY

Monday, October 20, 2014

Hindrances to Becoming Like Christ Part 3: Worldly Philosophies INSIDE the Church



There are a few philosophies embraced inside and outside our churches today.

As seen inside the church:

1.        We aren’t perfect, we can’t be perfect, so why bother trying to live like Christ? Why try to do the “right thing”? That’s the point of needing grace; I don’t have to DO anything. God knows how I am; He knows that I’m “just human”. Stop expecting me to change. This is how God made me.

2.       I’m pretty close to perfect. I do tons of “good” things. I act waaaay better than “so and so” and I don’t commit any “major sins”. God is sure to love me more, and bless me greatly, because of all the good things I do and how good of a person I am.

As seen from the world: 

1.       We’re just human. Nothing more. Nothing less. Nothing more after we die. Just enjoy the time we have here. Make the most of the opportunities presented. No regrets. You only get one life—better make the most of it. There is no one to hold us accountable, except us.

2.       If you do enough good deeds you get to go to heaven or someplace like it (or get reincarnated). Work hard, give big, love much, laugh often. Just be a good person. That’s the best we can hope for and the most we can do.

Both views are short sighted and provide justification for whatever belief you hold. They keep you from having to do more, be more, or think about the “after life” to any real extent. 

And the reality is, they all hold some elements of truth to them. 

But they are incomplete. 

Most Christians know the passage in the Bible about faith and works going together (James 2:14-26) and yet they still tend to lean more into one group or the other.

Last week I shared with you the song and lyrics to “Flesh and Bone” by Matt Maher, today I want to combine that with these two philosophies. 

Here’s the chorus to that song:
“If I saw the world in Your eyes
Would it help me understand?
How You see through all our lies
Still You hold us in Your hand

I'm dying to believe
I'm trying just to show
That we're less than perfect
More than flesh and bone.”

We all believe in lies. 

God sees those lies and He loves us anyway.

He knows the times Christians give lip service in our prayers—“Lord, if you will just help me out of this mess, I promise I’ll live better (or give more, or stop doing xyz).” 

He also knows those seeking to live” life to the fullest” are truly seeking Him, even though they don’t realize it.

He knows our lies.

He knows our hearts.

We can’t hide anything from Him.

We can’t hide:

Our prejudices. 

Our guilt.

Our pride.

Our anger.

Our fears.

Our lust.

Our materialism.

Our addictions.

Our religion.

Our WHATEVER.

God sees through ALL our lies…and He loves us anyway. 

Christian, it’s time to get real.

It’s time to stop buying into the lies these two philosophies embrace.

It’s time to realize that we need both Faith in God for OUR Salvation and Works to help point others to Him.

We are all less than perfect (Romans 3:23).

Yet we are much more than simply flesh and bones.

There is life after death.

But if Christians don’t live like there is, how is the world to know that there’s more to this life than simply having a good time or being a good person?

Time to shed the lies that make us comfortable or justify our lifestyles.

Trusting in “man-made” religions won’t allow you to live the abundant life (John 10:10). Becoming more like Christ, is realizing there is more to Salvation than simply “getting out of hell”. 

Salvation is the first step.

The rest of our lives are to be spent becoming more like Him. In order to become like Him, we must stop believing the lies and find out the truth.

It’s time to read the ENTIRE Word of God—not just parts of it.

We are less than perfect, but more than flesh and bone.

God knows this…do you?











No comments:

Post a Comment