Welcome

Greetings,
I invite you to join discussions, it enhances the reading experience for everyone. Please share your thoughts, opinions and knowledge in a respectful manner. May we all learn something in our endeavor to educate our hearts and minds. I look forward to hearing from you!
Sincerely,
TC AVEY

Monday, October 13, 2014

Hindrances to Becoming Like Christ Part 2: Division



Division.

There are many causes to the dissection between people today:

Pride
Entitlement
Hatred
Envy
Zip Codes
Race
Sexual Orientation
Religion/Denomination
Etc.

No matter the “cause”, the root of it comes from SATAN.

Satan comes to steal, kill, and destroy (John 10:10).

He comes to set people against each other—both inside the church and outside of it.

And we allow it.

We allow ourselves to be pitted against each other.

Why?

Perhaps part of the answer is our short sightedness and lack of love. 

A major theme throughout the Bible is LOVE.

Part of LOVE is being UNIFIED. 

Not divided. 

As I listen to Matt Maher’s song, “Flesh and Bones”, I can’t help but wonder what our churches, and world, would look like if we began to see others as Christ does.

If we could see our “enemies” as God does, would they still be our enemies? (click to tweet)


If we could see those we “hate” as worth dying for, would we still think less of them?


If we could see their value through the eyes of their (and our) Creator, would we still find faults in them?

“For God so love the WORLD…”(John 3:16)

Not just you.

Not just me.

Not just those who go to church.

Not just those who live in certain zip codes.

Not just those who look a certain way.

GOD LOVES EVERYONE.

Everyone is worth dying for.

Everyone is worth loving.

Everyone has faults. 

Everyone needs grace.

I encourage you, next time you find yourself critiquing someone (that person would look better if they lost weight), angry with someone (that idiot just cut me off in traffic), judging someone (that person is stupid), or being against certain people (homeless people are that way because they’re lazy)—STOP.

Stop for a moment and see them as Christ does.

God loved them enough to create them…warts and all.

Christ loved them enough to go to the cross…even though they didn’t deserve it (neither do you).

God values them. 

God loves them.

God wants everyone in heaven—no exceptions.

God doesn’t see us in groups, divided into categories.

He sees us as LOVED. 

“who wants ALL people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.”  1 Tim 2:4
(emphasis mine)

Christians are instructed to be imitators of Christ (1 Cor 11:1, Eph 5:1,Phil 2:15, Luke 6:35, etc).

So if Christ doesn't divide people into groups, if He loves everyone, shouldn't you?
(and yes I know that in the end God will divide the "sheep" from the "goats" but that's HIS job, not ours and in HIS timing. For now, He longs for all to come into the Family of God, shouldn't you long for that too?)

Lyrics to "Flesh and Bone"(songlyrics.com)

 I met a man who walked on water


Who wore His crown like a blue collar
I met a man who treated children
Like they were ambassadors to the Kingdom

If I saw the world in Your eyes
Would it help me understand?
How You see through all our lies
Still You hold us in Your hand

I'm dying to believe
I'm trying just to show
That we're less than perfect
More than flesh and bone

People climbing trees to catch sight of You
Broken and blind searching for the truth
We're crippled by our fears and torments
Oh, Son of man, have pity on Your servants

If I saw the world in Your eyes
Would it help me understand?
How You see through all our lies
Still You hold us in Your hand

I'm dying to believe
I'm trying just to show
That we're less than perfect
More than flesh and bone

I wander and I want
Squander the riches of Your love
It's never enough for me
Oh, take this poverty and nail it to this tree
And all that's captive shall go free, I'm free

And if I saw the world in Your eyes
Would it help me understand?
That You see through all our lies
Still You hold us in Your hand

I'm dying to believe
I'm rising just to show
That we're less than perfect
Yeah, we're less than perfect

That we're less than perfect
More than flesh and bone
Read more at http://www.songlyrics.com/matt-maher/flesh-and-bone-lyrics/#KoTKk0sXeq5u9krI.99


 Disclaimer: The video link to the Matt Maher song, “Flesh and Bones” is simply one I found on YouTube. I don’t know (or follow) the person who made it. I simply thought the pictures added to the lyrics in a powerful way. I pray it speaks to you.




No comments:

Post a Comment