Welcome

Greetings,
I invite you to join discussions, it enhances the reading experience for everyone. Please share your thoughts, opinions and knowledge in a respectful manner. May we all learn something in our endeavor to educate our hearts and minds. I look forward to hearing from you!
Sincerely,
TC AVEY

Monday, April 16, 2012

Web of Deception


“Oh what a tangled web we weave,
When first we practice to deceive.”
Sir Walter Scott

I’ve liked this quote since I was a youth, but over the years it has become apparent there are too many layers of deception to fully understand or appreciate the depth of these words.

What do I mean?

Simple, over the decades America has experienced a slow eroding of our fundamental values.  The deception was so subtle that we didn’t notice it at first (in fact many still are not noticing).  

Remember back to the I Love Lucy days, when Ricky and Lucy slept in separate beds?   (If you don’t remember, trust me, TV used to go out of its way to protect the innocents of our youth).  It was slow in coming and almost scandalous when husband and wife began being portrayed sleeping in the same bed! 

Fast forward a few decades and what do we see on almost every channel…sex, drugs and anything else that pushes limits and ups ratings.  There is no one protecting our youth, no one protecting the traditional values of conservative Christian beliefs.  Not even the church is openly vocal about condemning what the Bible blatantly says is evil.  But that is a topic for a different discussion.

What I want to talk about today is a new step down the path of destruction our media and entertainment is weaving around us. 

I was shocked and appalled when I heard a CNN news person say not only the F-word, but also the N-word on TV.  In fact, I have heard two different CNN broadcasts that have used the N-word.  And it’s not just CNN; Whoopi Goldberg was upset when The View bleeped her use of the N-word (side note: I do not watch The View, but I did see this clip on another media source).

Let’s go back to when Sarah Palin was criticized for using the word ‘target’ around the time AZ Representative Gabriel Gifford’s was shot.  CNN stopped a broadcast and warned the audience it was about to use the word ‘target’ and lectured us on how everyone needs to be more conscientious about the words we use so as not to incite angry outbursts in others.  Have they forgotten their own lecture or is there a double standard going on?

I’m sorry, but isn’t using this type of language only going to fan the angry flames of racism, sexism and any other type of ism that is out there?  

I am NOT okay with foul language of any sort being used in News media. We all understand what the    N-word, or the F-word mean. It is not ‘white washing’ it, as some are suggesting, by not saying the full word.  It does not degrade the severity of the words by not actually saying them. (If you are curious about the broadcast I am speaking of, it was in regards to quoting a Facebook comment a suspected posted prior to a shooting spree in Oklahoma). 

With all this said, I have a few questions for you:  
 Why is the media/entertainment trying to get us to be okay with such vulgar language?  What is the purpose?  Won’t using this type of language inflame hate and violence?  Aren’t we supposed to be respectful and tolerant of others, so why is this being shoved down our throats? 

I’ve heard it said using this language is about reporting with accuracy.  But that is a lie. I have heard many news broadcasts not use those words and I didn’t walk away thinking, “man I wonder what they were referring to?  I don’t think they were very accurate with that report.”

We are being deceived America. But why?  What is the motivation for this?  

My answer:  I think it is to take us one step farther away from all that is considered holy and respectful.  We have the blind leading the blind.  We have evil being spoken of as good, and good being spoken of as evil.  

Wake up America, Wake up Christians…before it is too late.

“Woe to those who go to great depths to hide their plans from the LORD, who do their work in darkness and think, "Who sees us? Who will know?" Isaiah 29:15 NIV

“Oh what a tangled web we weave,
When first we practice to deceive.”

No comments:

Post a Comment