Welcome

Greetings,
I invite you to join discussions, it enhances the reading experience for everyone. Please share your thoughts, opinions and knowledge in a respectful manner. May we all learn something in our endeavor to educate our hearts and minds. I look forward to hearing from you!
Sincerely,
TC AVEY

Monday, May 13, 2013

I Got Him...Now What Do I Do With Him?



“We have been snared in the coils of a spurious logic which insists that if we have found Him, we need no more seek Him.” A.W. Tozer (emphasis mine).

This quote has me thinking about ALL types of relationships, but specifically marriage relationships as they compare to our relationship with Christ. 

When I first met my spouse I set out to WOW him! I wanted to dazzle him, to capture his undivided attention. It worked.

But once I had it, I couldn’t have stopped there or we wouldn’t be married today. 

I had to continue to dazzle him, to seek him out, to engage him in my life. 

This has kept our marriage fresh and has sustained us during trying times. 

Without a continual pursuit of him, I would lose him to the distractions in the world. I’m not necessarily saying to adultery, but I could lose him to work, to hobbies, to other relationships/commitments in his life that pull at his attention.

No, I must be intentional about keeping our marriage relationship relevant and alive!

The reverse is also true. 

Once my spouse knew he “had me”, he couldn’t just set me aside and think I’d be satisfied with occasional pats on the head or his left over time. 

No, I wouldn’t stand for that and I bet you wouldn’t either.

When we give someone our heart, we want theirs in return!

It’s only fair. Both parties have to be actively engaged and involved in order for the relationship to not fizzle out. 

This is true also of our walk with Christ.

Coming to know Him as Savior isn’t enough. 

He isn’t a life insurance policy, a get out of jail free card or any other gimmick to make life “easier”.
Triune God is a person. He LONGS for a RELATIONSHIP!

That means it’s a two-way street.

We can’t just seek God when we want something and think that’s a good relationship. He’s not our genie. (Please Tweet)

If that wouldn’t fly in your marriage why would you think it would be okay to treat the God who created you, the God who died for YOUR sins, that way? 

It’s NOT okay!

We need to continually be seeking Him. Engaging Him in conversation. Including Him in our daily lives. Showing Him He is important to us. 

While we don’t have to “dazzle” God (He’s already dazzled by His creation- you), we do have to keep the relationship fresh. 

God’s ready to do His part…but are you ready to do yours? 

“To have found God and still to pursue Him is the soul’s paradox of love, scorned indeed by the too-easily-satisfied religionists, but justified in happy experience by the children of the burning heart.” A.W. Tozer

Questions:
1.        What’s holding you back from pursuing God in a RELATIONSHIP?
2.       How can you include God more in your daily life?
3.       Are you treating God as a genie or as a person deserving respect, time and energy?

No comments:

Post a Comment