1) Do you believe there is a God?
2) Do you believe in heaven and hell?
3) How do you think you get to heaven?
4) Can I share a few scriptures with you from the Bible that tells us about God and how we can get to heaven?
1) Romans 3:23, “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.” Everyone sins. There’s not one person who has not committed some sin, whether it is lying on taxes, cheating on a spouse, hating someone, murder, envy or whatever…we all have sinned. The size and type of sin doesn’t matter. According to the Bible, Sin is Sin…we all do it.
2) Romans 6:23, “For the wages (penalty) of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus.” God hates sin. The penalty/punishment for sinning is death/hell. You do not get a pass on sin; even “small sins” deserve death. We cannot be good enough to get to heaven. Doing good things/deeds won’t get you into heaven. There’s only one way to heaven- Jesus Christ. Jesus is God’s GIFT to us!
3) Romans 5:8, “But God demonstrated His own love towards us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” While we are sinners. We don’t have to clean up our acts first. God accepts us as we are: dirt, sin, and all. Salvation is a gift; just like at Christmas, you get a gift…you don’t have to earn it. It is free! Gifts are Free!!! So how do we get this free gift?
4) Romans 10:9-10, “that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you WILL BE SAVED. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.” It really is that simple. Notice it says when you believe and confess (declare) you WILL BE saved. NOT might be, but WILL BE! Some think that is too easy. But why does it have to be hard? If it were difficult, would you do it? Why not do something that is simple? Jesus paid the price. He did the hard part, and all you have to do is believe in His love and grace.
5) Romans 10:13, “For ‘whoever calls on the name of the Lord will be saved’.” Whoever! Isn’t that amazing! Anyone and everyone can be saved when they call on the only true God.
6) Romans 5:1, “Therefore having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.” By Faith, that’s all it takes. You cannot earn it. You only have to accept the free gift.
7) Ephesians 2:8, “For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God.”
8) Romans 8:1, “There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus.” Once you believe you belong to Christ, you do not have to work to achieve His love or forgiveness, it is freely given. All your sins (past and future) have been forgiven!
9) Romans 8:38-39, “For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor demons nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
Now that we’ve looked at scripture, ask yourself these questions.
1) Are you a sinner? (Yes, everyone is)
2) What does the Bible say about sin? (Punishment for sin is death)
3) Can you earn your way to heaven? (No, it’s a free gift called grace. You cannot work your way into heaven. Going to church does not make you a Christian anymore than eating at McDonald’s makes you a Big Mac)
4) How are you saved? (Salvation comes from faith, believing Jesus died on the cross for our sins and rose from the grave. Believing and confessing.)
5) Would you like to pray and ask Jesus to be your Lord and Savior? (Prayer is just talking to God, it's a conversation)
There’s no “magic” prayer to Salvation. It’s simply your heart speaking to God. Here’s a sample prayer to guide you into accepting the Gift of Salvation. Use it as a guide but make it your own. Remember, it’s not the words that save, but confession from the heart in believing something that seems too good to be true. Don’t worry if you still have doubts or questions…we all do. Faith is believing in something you don’t fully understand. Trust me, you will never fully understand God until heaven, but this is the first step to get you there.