Welcome

Greetings,
I invite you to join discussions, it enhances the reading experience for everyone. Please share your thoughts, opinions and knowledge in a respectful manner. May we all learn something in our endeavor to educate our hearts and minds. I look forward to hearing from you!
Sincerely,
TC AVEY

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Are You Different?

We all make mistakes, but do we all own up to them?

We all get our feelings hurt, but do we all forgive the offender?

We all lose our tempers, but do we all take steps to make amends?

The answer to these questions is, of course, no.  

We do not all do the right thing… even part of the time, in fact none of us do the right thing all the timeWe all mess up; we all act (and react) to situations that sometimes do not show the world that we are Christians. 
As Christians:

We are called to be lights.

We are called to be salt.

We are called to be different.

How else is the world to know our Savior?

This holiday season, with all the joyous stress of Christmas parties, shopping, watching Christmas shows, seeing lights, decorating trees, eating abundantly and spending time with family: 

Are we being lights?  

Are we being salt?  

Are we acting any differently than the world?

I pray we are.  I pray others can see the true meaning of Christmas through our actions and conversations. 

“In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.” Matt 5:16 NLT

Christmas isn’t about gifts, it isn’t about trees or lights (though they are beautiful), it isn’t even about family (though that is very important).  

Christmas is about God and his overwhelming love for us.  

"For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.” John 3:16 NLT

Think about it:  Before time began he knew Adam and Eve would fall in the garden.  Therefore, before he ever made us, his creation, he knew he would have to sacrifice his son for our sins.  

If I knew ahead of time that something bad would happen, something that would lead to the death of my son, I would do everything in my power to change it.  I wouldn’t have given man “free will”, I wouldn’t have allowed Satan in the garden to tempt them or I would have come up with some alternative plan for my creation that didn’t involve my son’s death.  

But I am human and God (thankfully) is not.  

He loves us.

He sent his son to this world so that we could spend eternity with him in heaven (how it was originally intended). 

He loves us.

Let’s show this love this holiday season to the world around us.  

Let’s not get caught up with the hustle and bustle of the holidays and forget the true meaning is celebrating the birth of our Savior and the sacrifice God made in choosing to love us despite our flaws and despite of what it cost him.

Our salvation cost him his son.  

I’m not sure I can say anything is worth the death of my son.  I would like to be “holy” and say I could give him up if God called me to (Like Abraham) but I don’t think I could.  

What I can do is honor his sacrifice and love by showing his love to those all around.

I can be a light.

I can be salt.

And I can be different.

Can you?  

“But don't just listen to God's word. You must do what it says. Otherwise, you are only fooling yourselves.” James 1:22 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment